Laptop 101: There are three main kinds of laptops out there: One, the kind you use to watch movies, browse the net, write stuff and probably do some light coding. Two, the kind used for some graphic intensive tasks, perhaps some serious coding, or app development, maybe image and video processing.
And three, the full-blown, uber powerful gaming laptops. Coming in with ultra dominant graphics prowess, high amounts of RAM and a level of durability like none other, the gaming laptops are often the rulers of the roost when it comes to portable computing.
Within the gaming laptops, two names are of significant prominence: Alienware, and MSI. In this piece, we’ll be talking about the latter brand and the line of ultra powerful laptops that MSI has in its portfolio in the country.
MSI – BRAND OVERVIEW
MSI – short for Multi Star International – is a Taiwanese multinational corporation that is wholly involved in the design, development and provision of computer hardware – including laptops, motherboards, graphic cards and associated peripherals. They are famous for sponsoring some major eSports names such as Fnatic and Cloud 9.
The product lineup under the brand’s umbrella can be broadly classified as:
Mobile Workstations, Gaming laptops, Classic laptops.
Based on the platform, the motherboards can be based on the AMD Platform or Intel Platform. There are additional branches of Mini-ITX, gaming and overclocking motherboards, which we’ll talk about in a bit.
The graphics cards are also custom made based on the platform – whether they are Intel based or AMD based. Besides these two platforms, there are also gaming and overclocking series.
This is the branch of the brand which might not be related to computing directly. Products in this lineup include the MSI Panocam – a panoramic web cam, bagpacks, mouse pads, mice, headphones and some accessories.
PRODUCTS IN INDIA
Make no mistake, the laptops within the brand’s portfolio are extremely powerful machines, coming in with high end specifications, and ultimately targeted at the hardcore mobile gamer or the power user, looking to get the maximum power from a portable computer. MSI’s laptop range within the country can be categorized into the main categories as given below:
Within the gaming laptops we have the various series such as the GT series, GS series, GE series, GP series and GL series.
The GT Dominator series is perhaps the most powerful within the gaming laptop lineup, and some major variants include:
• GT72S Dominator Pro G 6QE, having features such as a 17.3” screen, Intel i7 processor, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 8GB Graphics Card, 1TB HDD and 128GB SSD, priced at Rs. 2,36,000/-
• GT72 Dominator G 6QD, with a 17.3” screen, Intel i7 processor, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 3GB Graphics Card, 1TB HDD and 128GB SSD, priced at Rs. 1,68,000/-
• GT72 Dominator G 2QE, with a 17.3” screen, Intel i7 processor, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 8GB Graphics Card, 1TB HDD and 256GB SSD, priced at Rs. 2,00,000/-
The GE Apache series is a slightly toned down version of the GT series, and products in this range include:
• GE62 Apache Pro 6QD, with a 15.6” screen, Intel i7 processor, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 2/4GB Graphics Card, 1TB HDD and Windows 10, priced at Rs. 1,14,800/-
• GE60 Apache 6QD, with a 15.6” screen, Intel i7 processor, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2GB Graphics Card, 1TB HDD and Windows 8.1, priced at Rs. 96,500/-
The GP Leopard series is targeted at the serious gamer who doesn’t want a full-blown gaming laptop. Models in this series include:
• GP Leopard Pro 6QF, with a 15.6” screen, Intel i7 processor, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 2GB Graphics Card, 1TB HDD and Windows 10, priced at Rs. 97,000/-
• GP62 Leopard Pro 2QE, with a 15.6” screen, Intel i7 processor, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2GB Graphics Card, 1TB HDD and free DOS, priced at Rs. 85,000/-
Rounding off the gaming laptop lineup of MSI in the country, we have the GE Ghost series, which include variants such as:
• GS60 Ghost Pro 2QE, with a 15.6” screen, Intel i7 processor, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 3GB Graphics Card, 1TB HDD, 128GB SSD and Windows 8.1, priced at Rs. 1,84,000/-
• GE60 Ghost 2PL, with a 15.6” screen, Intel i7 processor, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2GB Graphics Card, 1TB HDD and Windows 8.1, priced at Rs. 1,18,000/-
Of course, there are many more laptop variants in the gaming lineup, and all of them boast of stellar features when it comes to gaming performance, be it in the form of the RAM offered, the graphics card prowess, and even the processing speeds. Moreover, some of them come equipped with a solid state drive (SSD), which offers a plethora of advantages over traditional hard drives, mainly in the form of data access and physical longevity.
Apart from the laptop lineup, MSI is also an active producer of motherboards and graphic cards, and these are also sold within the country.
Some prominent graphics cards include the MSI GeForce GTX 750Ti, the MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, MSI TWIN FROZR GeForce GTX and the baddest of them all, the MSI NVIDIA GTX 980. In the motherboard lineup, prominent names include the MSI Z97 PC Mate, MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard, MSI AM1L and MSI B150A.
SALES AND SUPPORT
MSI laptops and accessories are sold both online and offline, in multiple stores. Offline stores are the traditional brick and mortar outlets – and can be found in almost all major cities of Indian states. Online vendors include the popular ecommerce platforms along with some specialized vendors catering to particular states.
MSI’s laptop lineup is quite a unique one, wherein the target consumer is the power hungry user, who uses a laptop for extremely graphic intensive tasks such as competitive gaming, animation, graphic designing and professional image/video processing. The laptops might be on the pricier side of the spectrum, but with the specifications offered they provide a bang for the buck.