Mandrill, the transactional email sending system from MailChimp, has announced that it will be merged completely with MailChimp from 27th April 2016 for existing users. This will mean a increase in pricing and some other changes.
Changes due to Mandrill – MailChimp Merger:
1. All accounts need to add SPF and DKIM records and verify ownership of your sending domains.
2. Have a paid MailChimp account. It will cost you $10/month. Mandrill was completely free until 12,000 emails.
3. Pricing per email will be changing as well. Earlier price of mandrill started at $0.20/1K email and went as low as $0.10/1K email. The new pricing will effectively start from $0.80/1K email and $0.40/1k email. That’s a 2 to 4 times increase.
Also, earlier mandrill pricing allowed you to pay per email but now you will be required to buy in blocks of 25K emails.
New Mandrill Pricing that will come into effect after merging with Mailchimp:
- $20 per 25k emails for 500k emails per month
- $18 per 25k emails for 500k-1m emails per month
- $16 per 25k emails for 1-2m emails per month
- $14 per 25k emails for 2-3m emails per month
- $12 per 25k emails for 3-4m emails per month
- $10 per 25k emails for over 4m emails per month
SendGrid’s Lite and Amazon SES are good alternates to Mandrill as both are priced at $0.10/1K emails.